Today it rained. Nothing unusual in the Netherlands. Rather depressing sometimes. I have felt moments of discouragement and depression while we have been here and mission the association with my family members. Our lifestyles in NJ was a wonderful time. I think about them often.
But this morning I took your dad to work. We listened to some older music that brought back good memories. After dropping him off I returned to our home, but along the way I had some wonderful experiences.
While driving along one of the canal roads there was a beautiful, male swan all puffed up in his glorious plumage swimming peacefully along. I know that it was male because 30 feet further on was the female swan in her nest with two cygnets. They were right next to the road and she was feeding them.
About a kilometer further the traffic slowed down unexpectedly. Why? There were two ducks walking across the road. One large one at the front of 8 little ones with the second on herding behind. They crossed the medium into the oncoming traffic, slowing them, I passed them and watched in the mirror as they crossed the medium again on their way back to the canal.There is a children's park close by "Plaswijck" that has a playground, rides and a small lake. On the lake are boats that are paddled around that seat four. What makes them interesting is that they are in the shape of swans. They were all lined up like sentinels waiting for their next visitors. Along the shore were beautiful, tall, yellow iris-like flowers. Lilac bushes all around with their purple and white blossoms. All this is accomanied by the lush green of trees and grass.


I realize that it is the simple things each day that makes our time here worth it. We have made wonderful friends who we enjoy, but just looking out our back doors andwatching two little blue birds flying back and forth from the bird house bringing food to their babies is peaceful and theraputic.
I will always miss my children and grandchildren. But I know that soon we will see them and enjoy them once again. Until then I will Skype as often as you all will let me. But until we are all close by each other again I will continue to enjoy all the simple things that the Lord has given me each and every day.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing. I got to paddle boat last weekend in a pond specifically made to attracked and then kill geese. Not quite the same effect of your lovely European thoughts.
We all miss you too and am checking skype every morning on the commute.
Who would have though wildlife in the netherlands, apparently there is more than just the freezing winter I saw! jk. Thanks. we miss you guys too.
Thinking of you both today...missing you both today.
Post a Comment