Saturday, April 5, 2008

5 April Update from the Flying Cloud Folks

Warick mentioned he wanted some pictures of Italy including Canae. Was that Cannae of Hannibal fame? I studied the battle and even made a presentation about it. But I understand that the river has shifted and rendered the sight different than the configuration in ancient times. Unfortunately, Cannae is in southern Italy and far from the beaten track. I have never seen it, at least up close, although have seen Lake Trasimeno the site of an earlier Hannibal battle.

Speaking as the Capitan, I have been to Italy already, and Spain, and France, and Switzerland. Didn't take any pictures though. I will be spending several days in Belgium beginning tomorrow. Brussels is not one of my favorite cities but it does have one of the loveliest central plazas or squares, consistent in a gothic renaisance style.

April Fools
This last Tuesday, 1 April, I met with my three new employees who were joining the team. After we sat down, I told them solemnly that I had an announcement. UBS had just announced another $18 billion writedown, the board had just announced a hiring freeze, but the concern about the condition of the markets had caused them to pause, and put our project on hold. As a result they would have to return to their old positions as we were not moving forward with our department and also their old departments needed them and they would not be able to hire new staff. It was very silent while I let all this out. Gradually, Ferry let a smile come through. Nonka and Marco got it and started laughing. "You really had me going for a while," Nonka said. "I said to myself, I am NOT going back." So far they don't hate me too much.

2 comments:

Adi said...

I don't now what I would do if my new boss told me that. Probably storm out. The problem is no one can ever tell when you are lying. Need I remind you that I believed in stone pigeons for a while. And please, Belinda still thinks snow comes from the ground :)

Critchlow said...

Well, you are a lot closer than I am so seeing as that is the case I am sure that you can organize a trip down to Italy while being in Europe- come on...it isn't like you don't want to see where Hannibal defeated an entire army in one day.

In terms of April Fools- that was good. If you read my April Fools post- that isn't the half of it. I was able to unfold a plot to have a coworker plant a six pack of beer in my portable fridge I keep under my desk. Then the boss was going to call me into his office and fire me because I had possession of alcohol on the premises. And who do you think the culprit would be for this devious plot? My wife!